Convey to your colleagues and patients that you have achieved distinction as a leader in the musculoskeletal health field by becoming a Fellow of the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS).
The FAAOS designation differentiates you from other musculoskeletal professionals by your experience, your commitment to patients, your education, and continued professional development.
More CME tracking and support
More Surgical Skills Training
More Specialty Orthopaedic Videos and Online Learning
More Orthopaedic Surgical Knowledge Than Ever
FAAOS Membership applications are closed. Applications will open October 1, 2022 through May 31, 2023 for the Fellows Class of 2024.
Eligibility for Active Fellow Membership
To be eligible for Active Fellow Membership, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS), the American Osteopathic Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (AOBOS), or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
- For three years (36 months) immediately prior to induction, devote your medical practice exclusively to orthopaedic surgery or engage in the teaching of orthopaedic surgery or research related to the musculoskeletal system; practice in the United States or Canada
- Maintain a full, unrestricted, and unlimited license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada or provide evidence of full-time medical service in the federal government which does not require a medical license
- Comply with the AAOS Standards of Professionalism
Application Quick Facts
October 1, 2022 through May 31, 2023
$350 one-time processing fee is due at the time of application
2023 dues for Active Fellows is $1,076.
What You Need To Know When Applying for FAAOS Membership
All applications are reviewed and approved first by the Membership Council and then by the AAOS Board of Directors each September. Applicants are approved and accepted as an election class each year in October.
The full application process can take 10 to 12 months, so we encourage you to apply early.
It will take approximately 60 minutes to complete your application. You can also save your progress and finish at a later time.
Before you begin your application, have the following information and documents gathered:
- Sponsor names (sponsors must be Active AAOS Fellow Members)
- Certification and practice information
- Medical education, residency, and fellowship information
- Hospital and teaching affiliation(s)
- License(s) and practice history
- Medical society memberships
- Curriculum vitae (PDF to upload)
Realize Your Potential With FAAOS Membership
Stand Apart from Your Peers
Be recognized as the most qualified professional in the field by your patients and colleagues with credibility and distinction. Show that you have achieved the highest caliber knowledge by using the designation of FAAOS.
Meet & Track Your CME
Manage the Maintenance of Certification® process easily with the AAOS Learning Portfolio. Track CME credits, find products offering CME, and receive alerts regarding CME status. Includes free daily transcript transfer to ABOS.
Gain International Recognition
Gain and share knowledge by submitting your abstracts for Annual Meeting Instructional Course Lectures, papers, posters, and more, all while hearing from worldwide experts. Also available OnDemand and as a Virtual Experience.
Advance Your Surgical Skills
Advance your surgical specialty skills at your own pace with Orthopaedic Video Theater (OVT) by watching and saving quality videos. Gain international recognition with the newest feature, OVT Now, by submitting your own orthopaedic technique videos and lectures.
Stay Current With JAAOS
Keep up-to-date with the latest peer-reviewed and clinical research, as well as commentaries and author reviews on all things musculoskeletal health, with JAAOS, JAAOS Global, JAAOS Research, JAAOS CME, and on-the-go with the JAAOS Unplugged podcast.
Quickly access the latest guidance for elective surgeries, telemedicine developments, healthcare policy updates, plus support current initiatives with AAOS Advocacy, including member benefits like the Bone Beat Podcast and the COVID-19 Resource Center.
What Is Your FAAOS Membership Worth?
FAAOS Membership offers incredible value. Membership will provide you with a range of exclusive products, programs, services, and discounts that will help improve your patient care and support the success of your practice.
Membership Dues for the AAOS Active Fellow Class of 2023
AAOS Membership runs on the calendar year, January 1 to December 31. If accepted, your membership dues for 2023 of $1,076 will be due January 1, 2023. Active Fellow Membership is a continuous membership, meaning dues are automatically billed every October for the upcoming membership cycle.
Do You Have Questions or Need Assistance?
Please contact our Customer and Member Service Team or call us at 800-626-6726 today.